How Hot Does Artificial Grass Get?
Understanding exactly how hot artificial grass can get on a warm summer day is a common concern for those who are considering getting artificial grass. It’s important to be informed about the actual facts behind how hot artificial grass actually gets, as well as the potential harm (if any) and the different ways you can manage your lawn on a hot summer day.
Most of us know not to walk across hot sand, rocks or concrete without shoes and we are accustomed to thinking about the potential heat of pavement before we take our dogs for a walk. We have grown up learning that these surfaces can be incredibly hot on sunny summer days and, at the same time, we grew up thinking of grass as a cooler surface that we can probably comfortably walk on barefoot even on the hottest afternoons. While artificial grass falls somewhere in the middle and does not get as hot as some of the above-mentioned landscaping features, it also may not be as cool as natural grass on hot, sunny days.
Artificial grass can get hotter than natural grass on hot, sunny days. However, there are ways to manage this and to make your synthetic lawn a comfortable place to play or hang out any day of the year.
How to Keep Artificial Grass Cooler on Hot Days
If your artificial grass gets too hot for you to enjoy or if you are considering artificial grass and are concerned that this may be an issue for you, your pets or your children, there are several steps you can take to help to ensure your artificial grass does not get too hot.
- Cover all or part of your lawn with shade sails to block direct sunlight, reduce heat absorption and provide a shady spot to rest or play.
- Install a retractable awning that you can open on very hot days to shade your lawn.
- Rinse your synthetic lawn with a garden hose to quickly reduce the surface temperature.
- If you need to cool off your artificial lawn quickly before guests arrive, put up a portable canopy to provide shade over the area that feels too hot.
- If you have a sprinkler system, you can run the system for a few minutes to cool off your lawn quickly.
Lawn Pros provides artificial grass solutions for landscapes, playgrounds, putting greens, businesses & contractors – all at wholesale prices. With the widest selection of synthetic turf products available, we’re the one-stop shop for artificial grass! Our large selection of artificial grass ensures that we have something that suits any landscape project and rest assured that it will drain properly!